Standard chartered Bank
Standard Chartered Bank – We’re an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we’ve worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. As a leading international bank, we strive to help people and businesses prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Credit Risk Approver
Job ID: 2300003646
Location: Victoria Island, Lagos
Employee Status: Permanent
The Role Responsibilities
- Assist SCO FIR in designing, maintaining and effectively communicating risk control parameters of the CIB FI portfolio, including policies, control standards, risk exposure limits and other control levers in order to maintain the risk profile in line with the Group’s risk appetite.
- To monitor and identify signs of deterioration on individual names with a view to commence early remedial management of these accounts and thereby minimise loan losses thus directly contributing to bottom line.
- Assess the credit risk profile of the FI West Africa portfolio, maintaining alignment with risk appetite by rebalancing of risks or controls that may be required in response to internal and external factors.
- Delegate risk authorities (applicable to FI only) to suitable named individuals in line with their skills and judgement.
- Initiate stress tests as required by internal and external factors and review results and assess their implications.
- Ensure that effective management response plans are in place to respond to extreme but plausible scenarios.
- Ensure first line process owners understand and accept their risk management responsibilities.
- Exercise risk control responsibility for Credit Risk for FI West Africa portfolio.
- Actively participate in key committees through standing membership.
- Uphold the integrity of risk / return decisions, by challenging business to demonstrate that risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy and risk appetite.
- Influence and monitor through use of Risk MI the shape and composition of the portfolio against approved Standards and escalate breaches with recommendations for remedial action.
- Ensure appropriate judgement is applied in the discharge of risk authorities assigned to the job holder, taking account of concentration risk across sectors, geographies and markets.
- Ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to the responsible governance committees and to Group and business-level committees as appropriate.
- Assist with the formulation of annual Risk Appetite and Portfolio Standards through joint sponsorship with the business.
- Plan development of risk parameters for Financial Institutions in West Africa according to Risk Tolerance and Policy Frameworks and documents in portfolio standards.
- Inform the development of business plans for CIB FI portfolio in West Africa with the provision of cost and impairment forecasts and a balanced judgement on the external environment.
- Align strategy of the FIR West Africa with business strategy and risk appetite and supervise the Function in overseeing its execution in the region.
- Maintain and develop the FI Risk function’s risk capabilities, and skills to meet ongoing business needs and plans.
- Identify measure and monitor material risk affecting CIB portfolio in the context of the external market environment.
- Assisting relationship managers in identification and managing up or out of accounts exhibiting signs of deterioration and assisting Special Assets Management, where appropriate, in managing substandard accounts to maximise recoveries and minimise losses.
- Continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Function’s risk management processes to increase the consistency of global systems and processes.
- Approving of Credit Applications falling within own discretion and support of applications, which require approval outside the territory.
- Attending the local Credit Issues Committees for respective countries to review credit related issues.
- Supervise all processes where a member of the Function is the identified first line process owner.
- To instill a strong credit culture and provide leadership to RM’s.
- Discuss with business and approve daily transaction.
- Ensure effective management of the operational risks within the Function and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations.
- Ensuring that the quality of Credit Applications meets Group standards, particularly with regard to the completeness and depth of risk analysis.
- Prepare monthly reports such as Portfolio Standard Tracker.
- Regularly review audit and CRR reports / KCIs and CSTs and identify key trends.
- Prepare all the inputs required from Credit Risk to assist the CCRO office.
- Support CRC by Monitoring and reviewing the daily excess reports / CMS report (for documentation deficiencies) / monthly RB reports.
- Ensure timely submission of various Credit Risk reports to Finance and Compliance for Regulatory Reporting to the respective Central Banks.
- Ensure timely submission of data to region on EAR updates, Local and Group Credit Policy Breaches.
- To stress test the respective country portfolios as appropriate to manage downside risks.
- Produce data and analysis / commentary for the Risk Information Report (“RIR”).
- Maintain vigilance over data quality and drive ongoing improvement.
Regulatory and Business Conduct:
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Regional and Country Head FI
- Country CEO
- ERR Team
- Internal AND External Auditors
- FM / TB / CF units
- SCO – Specialized Finance
- Legal / CDU
- Operational Risk
- Embed Here for good and Group’s brand and values in FIR AME team
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures
Our Ideal Candidate
- MBA / CA / CFA with experience in treasury / relationship management / consultancy and risk management.
- 10 years experience in banking. Functional experience in Corporate Banking Credit Risk Management.
- Market Knowledge – Reasonable experience in the banking industry.
- Hands on knowledge of the regulatory frameworks within the region.
- Role specific training which are mandatory and developmental.
- Good communication skills – written and oral.
- Multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Good working relations with Regulators.
- Risk management framework.
- Core credit curriculum.
- Good knowledge and grasp of banking practice, financial markets, Basel II and ICAAP, risk appetite, and portfolio management techniques.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to influence and resolve disputes. Enjoy decision making and have sense of ownership.
- Command respect of cross functional peers and business heads working in open ended situations.
- Other training as deemed mandatory by the bank and updated on a periodic basis.
Role Specific Technical Competencies:
- Credit Risk Management
- Operational Risk Management.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th March, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit scb.taleo.net.